Sunday, August 3, 2008

| prince charming in training |

Yesterday, I got a text message and a question from my friend Peggy. She wanted to know, since girls dream about their prince charming from young ages, what do boys dream about.

I didn't know how to answer such things. I definitely did not think about having a princess of my own to be "rescuing" when I was younger. Peggy was right, that was kind of the furthest thing from my mind. I wasn't interested in setting things in order for the day that I might meet the woman that God has for me. I just figured that when it would happen, it would happen. Something about planning ahead did not appeal to me.

In all actuality, It wasn't until I got into my 3rd year of college that I even thought of those kinds of things. I entertained the idea of writing letters to my future wife, perhaps concocting a poem or two that I would give her on our wedding night (or something unimaginably romantic like that). That stuck for a little while. I was into reading all of these Christian relationship books. "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", "When God Writes Your Love Story", and I think there was even one called "I Gave Dating a Chance". All of these books would put these crazily romantic ideas in my head about how things should go in a relationship. I think they were ok for the most part, but really they didn't get to anything that I wanted to learn about. I was beginning to think about more of what I was looking for in a person, and building up this perfect scenario in my head about how everything would take shape.

A lot of people spend time putting thought into the type of partner the would like to find. They need to be Christian, they have to have a nice smile, must be compassionate... etc. "I want to have a prince, or a princess!" I don't think that it's wrong to be putting together ideas about the type of person you want to date/marry, but I am more into the idea of thinking about yourself.


I want to be a prince!!!

This is the way I'm thinking about things. I really do want to be some girl's prince charming someday. I'm really concerned about being someone that a woman would like to marry. Instead of putting a list of expectations/wants/desires onto someone else, I'm thinking my characteristics. (Am I someone that I would want to marry?) Am I like the person that I'm building up in my head? Am I compassionate? Am I patient? Am I loving? Am I understanding? I really want to make sure that I am embodying these things, instead of using them as the criteria to find acceptable candidates for the position of significant other. The chances are pretty good that there is a woman out there looking for the same things. I want to make sure that the lucky woman is not going to be shortchanged. I don't want to find someone who is amazingly, abundantly, and indescribably wonderful, and have them deal with ordinary ol' me, who is not bringing anything to the table for her.

I think that in focusing on myself, I am able to work with Jesus quite closely, to figure out who I am, and what kind of person He has in mind for me to be. I'm not griping with Him for not sending a particular kind of person my way, I'm looking to make myself the best I can be for Him, and in turn, He can handle the dealings of someone's heart. He'll prepare a woman for me, that is His perfect match for me, regardless of what I think that might look like.

One day, I'll hopefully find that princess, and she'll love me as her prince charming, as "charming" or not, as I may be.

I'm out...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeh Troy said the same thing during Trilogy when everyone was asking about how they can find the "right one" and he said not to worry about who's the right one, worry about yourself being the right one.

Anonymous said...

You wrote:

""I Kissed Dating Goodbye", "When God Writes Your Love Story", and I think there was even one called "I Gave Dating a Chance". All of these books would put these crazily romantic ideas in my head about how things should go in a relationship. I think they were ok for the most part, but really they didn't get to anything that I wanted to learn about."

I almost feel guilty saying "amen" to that but... Amen!

Justin said...

haha! I don't think they're bad books, but yeah. I think they're for certain people at certain places in their lives

Amber said...

good stuff =)

Lena said...

Aaawww...this is sooo good! :) But now...the next time you ask me to network for you...I'm gonna bring this up! Asking you if you're where you need to be. If you're the man that "she" needs you to be. :)

 
design by suckmylolly.com