Tuesday, November 25, 2008

[ Umm...grateful? ]

This week being thanksgiving, I had a couple of random thoughts going through my head.

My pastor gave a sermon a few weeks ago, talking about thankfulness. As Christians, we have the great blessing of knowing who gives us our strength and help. Jesus provides for us even on the smallest levels. I am certainly aware of the fact that I didn't wake myself up this morning. I know that no matter how much I didn't want it to rain this morning, my wishes had no effect on whether or not a drop will fall from the sky (and I really wished hard for no rain!). All of the good things that happen to me are results of God's provision for me. I don't have to be reminded of that.

This week at church, we were taught about "The Leash". This was the idea that God is in control of EVERYTHING. God is even in control of Satan. *gasp!* (did he really just go there?.... Yup! I did, deal!) God is so powerful that even Satan has to check in with Him about the things that he does in and around the earth. (if you don't believe me, read the beginning of Job, playa...) The joy in this is that, even when bad things happen to us, we should be aware of the fact that no matter how bad things get, without Jesus' restrictions, things could be SO much worse! Who knows the depths of depair that we'd be facing if He didn't filter our troubles to only things we are ready/able to handle?

That being said, it makes me wonder why it's so hard to remember the good things in life. So often, when people ask me how my day has been; (and I actually feel like answering with something more substantial than just: "ok" or "good" ) I can easily rattle off a long list of all the things that annoyed me that day. I could tell smeone how many times I was screwed and exactly how that managed to happen. It's all too easy for me to recount my annoyances and the other problems that seemingly appeared out of nowhere, just to torment me.

Why isn't it something that resembles more thankfulness. Why am I not remembering all the ways that I was blessed in my situations? I think God would much rather us be able to give glory to Him by expressing joy about
His blessings throughout the craziness that happens to us. Why not have a story like: "I lost my wallet... But God helped guide me to it, or influenced someone to give it back to me.
Out of my mouth should be praises, not complaints. However, I find myself having to write down every positive experience or highlights.

My challenge, as we think about this season, and what we're really grateful for, is to change every negative thought about the day with a prayer of thanksgiving. Let's see if perhaps a change in our attitude can cause a change in the ways that we're ungrateful to God for the wsys that He is with us. Even thinking about it that way may enrich your relationship with Him, cause you're ready to accept His blessings even in the midst of trouble.

Besides, thinking negative things only brings us negativity...

I'm out...

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com