Saturday, September 27, 2008

| Instant Gratification |

I get so annoyed when I have issues with my internet! It took me a few tries with my web browser to get to this place so that I could blog tonight! It was freakin' destroying me that it wasn't coming up for me. You'd think I'd be able to just get right in, especially since I have dsl right? I mean, this isn't 1996, I'm not rollin with the dial up that my parents had. Things are supposed to move so much faster now right? Gosh.

That's just my problem though. I always want what I want, when I want it. I'm kind of a spokesperson of my generation though, I think. We definitely want things the way we want them, when we want them. Think about it! When we pray, we want the answer quickly and we want it to be clear. I don't know if it's the wisest thing to just give God time guidelines with my prayers, but I do it. Have you ever done that? Ever tried to give God a time ultimatum in prayers? "I need this to happen in the next couple of days God, or things are going to be messed up!"

Even the way that we evagelize is a bit like that sometimes. We think that we'll have that magical and fateful conversation with someone, where they will hear what the goodness of the gospel has to offer, and they'll fall in love with God just like we did! Is it wrong of me to want to be instantly amazingly effective in someone's life? Why don't I ever see impact like that with people I talk to? Is it because I'm horrible at evangelizing? *Shrug*

I think that the problem with instant gratification is that it really neglects the idea that patience is necessary! We have to be patient on God in all facets of our lives. His timing is not our timing, and remembering that can save a lot of us some grief. There's a reason that patience is a fruit of the spirit. It is an important trait to have some practice with. If you think about it, all of our faith is based on patience. We have to be patient for the day that we get to be reconciled with our Lord. We're patient in the fact that one day we will get to see heaven and want to be part of that. We're patient because of the belief that the way that we live today will produce some kind of reward for us once we get to heaven. We are supposed to be living with the idea that we're waiting for Jesus to come back to this world and restore His power and justice to a lost world.

For a religion that is based in so much patience, why do we have such a hard time waiting for things? Shouldn't we be in the practice of waiting on God for everything?

I'd say that we have to make a change in ourselves RIGHT NOW! That I want to see it IMMEDIATELY!

but I need to practice some patience...

I'm out...

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com